Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

First Generation College Student Week at CW - Darian Giriat

Tue, 11/10/2020
Darian Giriat

Darian Giriat, College of Westchester Computer Networking Administration major

We are proud to share student success stories and the value they add, to not only the CW campus, but also our entire community. Despite the obstacles, it’s possible to obtain a college degree and improve the quality of life of themselves and their families. Here is our Q&A with Darian Giriat a Computer Networking Administration major at The College of Westchester.

Who or what inspires you to earn your degree? Why?

My older brother Edgar really played a key role in convincing me that it was necessary to attend college to get satisfactory results when searching for employment. Also, another key factor that ended my doubts upon choosing whether I should go or not go to college is the many scholarships I received during my time at High School, which eliminated the fear of college debt and pushed me to take the decision on pursuing my college education.

How will earning your college degree change your life and the lives of your family members?

Earning a college degree will certainly change my life. I will have different types of opportunities that will be open for me and consequently my family’s income will increase substantially. My family's troubling financial position will be resolved as a result of my potential employment in the PC field.

One day, you will be a first-generation college graduate. Who do you hope your story will inspire?

I hope that my story will inspire many other first-generation college students that are currently transitioning from high school. I, especially, hope it will inspire those who have limited resources and cannot get the financial support from their family. Based on my experience in high school and now in college, I’ve learned that if you put your focus on your educational goals, and you have a serious determination to achieve those goals, you can do whatever you put your mind to. There are many scholarships available out there.

What do you wish the College knew about you?

I was a Special Education student from Pre-K to High School, and I know there is a stigma surrounding special education students as a group. I can assure everyone, students and staff that I was indeed in Special Ed, but now, I am a well-educated student, and I continue to learn more about my favorite field of study, which is Information Technology. To all those students in Special Ed, keep climbing and to those who support the stigma, don’t judge a book by its cover.

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester