The College of Westchester is seeking a full time Counselor to work in our Student Counseling Center. The Counselor is responsible for providing mental health counseling services to students during their academic career at the college. The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong clinical skills and have a multifaceted understanding of mental health at the higher education level. Must be a team player willing to assist with non-counseling student outreach and retention initiatives. This position is primarily daytime hours with two evenings per week and one Saturday (9-2) per month as part of advising team rotation. Will also be trained as part of academic advising team and be assigned an advising caseload.
- Provide mental health counseling services to students, whether those that are referred, mandated or sought by self to the Counseling Center.
- Develop and implement treatment plans for each counseling student.
- Present to the staff and student body as needed on mental health issues and needs, as directed by Supervisor.
- Conduct outreach to develop and maintain referrals to local community therapists, agencies, hospitals and programs as needed.
- Assist with retention-related student outreach as needed.
- Participate on disciplinary hearings in counseling capacity as appropriate.
- Provide academic advising to students, including scheduling and review of program requirements.
- Be a visible campus presence and participate in student life events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in counseling or social work required.
- NY State Licensed Mental Health Counselor or NY State Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
- Counseling experience in higher education or related field will be preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to adapt, effect change, think critically and manage day-to-day responsibilities as required by Supervisor.
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.