Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

National Distance Learning Week - Meet CW Warrior Tawanna Twine

Mon, 11/07/2022
National Distance Learning Week - Tawanna Twine

Distance learning has helped millions of people learn, earn and advance their careers through education. Every November, we celebrate #NationalDistanceLearningWeek to recognize the important role that distance learning plays in our nation's workforce.

For Tawanna, it wasn’t an easy decision to make as she was afraid to come back to school after a decade. However, when she received her first A, she knew she made the right decision. As she explains here, she is doing this for her family, but she is also doing it for herself because she knows she was meant for more.

Who or what inspires you to earn your degree at CW? Why?

My inspirations come from within. My drive and passion to earn my degree after being out of school for over 12 years brings tears to my eyes. I don't want to be complacent. I was destined for more. I will succeed. I can see it in front of me and the moment when it happens it will be beyond gratifying.

How will earning your college degree change your life and the lives of your family members?
Earning my college degree will change my life and the lives of my family members in various ways. It will inspire me to continue with my next degree, giving me confidence to continue and further my education. As a single parent it will inspire my sons to succeed and ultimately make them proud of mommy. I'm a first generation student, I will truly make my parents proud. Earning my degree will be the foundation of my success.

Who do you hope your story will inspire?
I hope my story inspires adults who are intimidated by returning to school. After being out of school for 12 years it was very intimidating, I was afraid of failure. However my drive and passion wouldn't allow me to fail. I am focused and so can the next person with a little bit of inspiration.

How has online learning influenced your opportunity to earn your degree? Would you have earned a degree if you were not able to attend online?
Online learning has influenced my opportunity to earn my degree in multiple ways. It allows me to continue my full time job to support my kids with the flexibility of not physically being in a classroom setting. My professors and the staff within CW have made this an extraordinary experience for me. I was so afraid when I first began, but I was focused. Once I received my first A, I was so eager for more and more! Ultimately becoming a President's list student and a member of the honors society. I would not have been able to accomplish any of this, if not given the opportunity to earn my degree online.

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester