Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

CW Celebrates Black History Month

Thu, 02/17/2022
CW Celebrates Black History Month

To continue the celebrations of Black History Month, we now put the spotlight on a staff member who is loved and respected in the CW family. She is known for being super helpful and always having a smile on her face. Yes, even with her mask on, you know she’s smiling!

We asked her some questions, and this is what she had to say.

1. What does Black History Month mean for you?

Black History Month means to me a time of reflection, a time to listen, a time to grow and an opportunity to educate others about the legacy and contributions that African Americans have made to society. Our historical imprint is significant and must be shared and not limited to one month, but 365 days of the year!

2. How important is it for a minority student to obtain a college degree?

It is CRITICAL for students of color to obtain a college education!  Although to some, it may only be a piece of paper, for many it is a ticket to greater opportunities. Pain is only temporary, but a degree lasts forever!

3. What changes are you hoping to bring to our society by being in the Higher education industry?

I feel that it is important for me to show up, represent, and be the best version of myself. If that means being an agent of inspiration or motivation for others to stay focused and accomplish their goals, so be it!  And when they do, then and only then, I can say that I have made a difference. Until then, the struggle and work continues!

4. A really inspirational book to celebrate BHM that every CW student should read is? Why?

I actually have three inspirational books that I would recommend.

1. The Autobiography of Malcolm X- The book is inspirational and offers profound insight to the legacy of Malcolm X.

2. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings- A painful, insightful and motivational story of the life of the one and only Maya Angelou.

3. PUSH- A heartbreaking, hopeful and powerful story of how a young girl’s chance encounter with her teacher, changes her outlook on life as she knows it.

5. What are your top 3 favorite singers/bands to celebrate BHM?

1. Earth, Wind and Fire- With such classics like “September” , “Let’s Groove Tonight”, “ Boogie Wonderland” and “ That’s the Way of the World”- There is a song for EVERYONE!

2. Mary J. Blige- With hits such as “ You Remind Me”, “No More Drama”, “ Family Affair” , “Just Fine”, “ Be Without You” and the list goes on- Mary sings from her soul.  She uses the power of her voice to make you laugh, cry and most of all dance!

3. Sounds of Blackness- “Optimistic”, “ I Believe”, “ Hold On” and “I’m Going All the Way”- Are just some of their soulful and uplifting melodies that can turn any frown upside down!

4. Honorable Mention- Arrested Development- my favorite tune from this socially conscious group is “ Everyday People”- the song will make you think, smile, laugh and dance all at the same time.

6.The best advice I received when I was in college was?

Being eight hours away from home, I was always listening to what others had to say, especially when I was homesick!  However, it was the words of one professor during my Freshman Orientation that stays in mind the most. Dr. Adams ( that was his name), simply reminded us that you are here to get an education. Each of you has a last name, therefore while here on campus, you not only represent yourself, you represent your family.  Therefore, you are OBLIGATED to make them PROUD in everything that you do. So, stay focused as the baton has been passed on to you, it is your JOB to get to the FINISH LINE! Those words, and they are verbatim, have stuck with me forever!

7. What CW students might not know about me is?

CW Students may not believe the following- but all is true!

1. I went to school with Tupac Shakur- For a short while, Tupac lived in White Plains and we attended Junior High School together. We were in the same homeroom and a few other classes together.

2. I play the violin.

3. I had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with the late Dr. Betty Shabazz, the wife of Malcolm X.

4. I had the pleasure of meeting, spending time and getting to know Ilyasah Shabazz, the daughter of Malcolm X.

5. I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Maulana Karenga, the creator of KWANZAA.

6. I was Homecoming Queen in my senior year of college.

7. I know how to square dance.

8. I know how to ballroom dance.

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester