Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

National Distance Learning Week - Shantel

Mon, 11/15/2021

Distance Learning is effective for everybody, but especially for those who have a job and run a house. Online programs allow students to earn a high-quality education with the flexibility to balance their studies with work and home life. CW student Shantel perfectly knows the benefits of distance learning and is currently pursuing her degree at CW, hoping to continue her work in the health industry.

Who or what inspires you to earn your degree at CW? Why?
My family, which are my kids, my husband and definitely myself, inspire me to earn my degree at CW. I want to give them a better life, have a beautiful house in the future and of course have a job I will definitely love and not get tired of. Also, I want to have a better paying job that won’t stress me out knowing that this is what I want to be doing.

How will earning your college degree change your life and the lives of your family members?
Earning my college degree will change my life and my family because I will be able to work the job that I always wanted in the health field. I will be able to support myself and family the way it should be without struggling or worrying so much about money.

Who do you hope your story will inspire?
I hope my story will inspire young parents and even adults that think they can't continue their education and pursue their dreams just because they have to work and support their family. I was a teenage mom myself and struggled so much before getting here.

How has online learning influenced your opportunity to earn your degree? Would you have earned a degree if you were not able to attend online?
Online learning influenced my opportunity to earn my degree by making it easier for me. My assignments are posted on a weekly basis every Monday and have to be submitted by Sunday 11:59 P.M. and that's great for me because I am able to be a part of my children’s education, work a part time job while they’re at school and still be able to do my daily routine. It would've been harder for me to attend college in person because I would have been struggling finding my ways to do things like dropping off my kids at school, work and run my daily errands in Brooklyn.

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester