Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

First Generation College Student Week at CW-Kerian Adams

Mon, 11/08/2021

Kerian Adams believes that it is never too late to study and obtain your college degree. She wants to become a professional to prove to herself she is capable of doing anything she wants, but also serve as a role model to inspire her kids to become professionals when the time comes. During #FirstGenerationWeek, Kerian shares her story.

Who or what inspires you to get your degree and why?
I am inspired and motivated by my own strength. In the past I have procrastinated and wasted a lot of time. I have previously started several career fields and have not completed any of them. I also had a lot of fear and anxiety which I have overcome. I am also doing this degree to inspire my daughter to be eager about following the right career path. This degree will help to open the doors to a new career and open the doors to several opportunities for me.

How will earning your college degree change your life and the lives of your family members?
This degree will give me the opportunity to be gainfully employed in management. I will be able to accumulate money to purchase my home and take better care of my family.

One day, you will be a first generation college graduate. Who do you hope your story will inspire?
I hope to inspire my two children, my nephew, and all of society who don't believe in themselves and who think they can't do it or they believe they are too old for school.

What do you wish the College knew about you?
I want to say I am thankful and appreciated for the endless effort and the monetary contribution they have given to me, to help me in achieving my goals.

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester