Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

Womens History Month: Who’s Your SHero – My Mom says Lisa Arbizu-Alarcon

Tue, 03/23/2021
Lisa Arbizu-Alarcon

During the past few weeks we asked you about your SHero. We wanted to know about that special woman in your life. During the following days we’ll be sharing those stories from several students. For CW student Lisa Arbizu-Alarcon her SHEro is her mom Lidia Alarcon.

This is her story.

“My mother has always been the woman I’ve looked up to the most. She became a mother at the young age of 16, to my older brother. Being the strong woman she is, she came across borders at age 19 by herself to start a new life. At age 22, she had me, still quite young, but despite having two children she was responsible as she did not stop working daily to ensure we had everything we needed at home while growing up. She made sure she had enough to give my brother the opportunity to go to school and receive an education in Guatemala. While still taking care of me and then later my sister, too, my mother would work and still come home to do daily household chores, in addition to cooking. She still found time in her day to be not just our mother but our friend. She made time to speak to us, support us and help us in any way she could.

She worked day and sometimes even nights. As we grew up, we realized how much our mother truly cared for us and despite the fact we are all now in college, or graduates, she continues to push us to be the best we can be, to never give up. As a mother now, as well, my mother is the first woman to teach me that having a child is no obstacle in the path to following your dreams. We are all going at our own pace and working hard and doing good will always be rewarded.

I hope my son grows up to one day see me as the inspiration to get out of bed daily and reach for those dreams and goals he’ll want to achieve. My mother is definitely the fuel that makes me want to wake up daily and be the best version of myself I can be, to keep pushing and reaching for those goals I’ve set my eyes on. I know I am beyond lucky to have such a great woman guiding me through life, as a mother, as a grandmother to my son, as a friend. She exemplifies what it means to be strong and determined. To be inspiring and beautiful not only on the outside but within. I’ve seen her be a mother to those who are not even her children, my son included. I think if I can say I have become my mother in a later future. I will know I am doing well and that everything she’s done up until that day for me will be worth every obstacle, tired night, and long day. I know I still have her waiting for me in times ahead.”

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester