Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

Black History Month - Dr. Shamva Wright-Shingler

Tue, 02/09/2021

To continue the celebrations of Black History Month, we now put the spotlight on Dr. Shamva Wright-Shingler, the Chairperson of The School of Health Professions at CW. She is loved by the students and respected by her colleagues. For Dr. Wright-Shingler, BHM is more than a month of remembrance, it’s the month that honors the rich history, experiences, struggles, and achievements of African Americans.

What does Black History Month mean for you?

Black History is very important to me and is celebrated every day. I spend the month of February, which is observed for Black History, educating the members of my community of the successful African Americans who have contributed to our culture right from our hometown. It also gives me the opportunity to learn more and reflect on the accomplishments and contributions that our great leaders have made towards science, education, politics, and social justice.  

How important it is for a minority student to obtain a college degree?

It is very important for minorities to obtain a college degree for several reasons. 

Reason #1: Our ancestors were never afforded the opportunity to attend school, let alone college for many years. 

Reason #2: For many years, elite and ivy league colleges were reserved for the wealthy and predominantly white population, which led to underrepresentation of minorities at top tier colleges. 

Reason #3: Most minorities are first generation college students. Getting a degree would contribute to them being able to break generational curses, the ability to pull their family out of poverty by becoming more economical and financial savvy and serve as a role model to their community.

What changes are you hoping to bring to our society by being in the higher education industry?

As an African American, I have always believed in the value of education and its capability to reconstruct a community and the lives of individuals. I believe that it is important for society to see an inflow of minority instructors sharing their knowledge, talent, and skills with today’s youth.

By being in higher education, I feel that it is my duty to help provide students with learning opportunities so that they can fulfill their career of choice. As a minority healthcare provider as well as the Chairperson of The School of Health Professions, I am hoping to serve as a role model helping to educate, mentor, and better prepare students for the healthcare industry.  

An inspirational book to celebrate BHM and that every CW student should read is? Why? 

An inspirational book to celebrate BHM, that minority students should read is The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois. In this collection of essays and sketches, W.E.B. Du Bois details that the problem with the 20th century is simply based on race. He exposed the injustices that African Americans experienced regarding their right to vote, civic equality, and education. It examines the progress of race, the obstacles to that progress, and the possibilities of future progress as the nation enters another century. The book is a heavy read, some of the problems he addresses we are still experiencing today. Du Bois wrote this book based on experience, and he quotes that it is beneath the dignity of a human being to beg for rights that belong inherent to all mankind.

What are your top 3 favorite singers/bands to celebrate BHM?

India Arie- I am not my hair, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes- Wake up Everybody, John Legend & Common- Glory

The best advice I received when I was in college was?  

I attended a Historical Black Colleges and Universities, (HBCU). I received advice from so many of my instructors because they could relate to me and my struggles. However, the message that still sits with me today came from my mentor, Dr. Edythe Boyer Jones, who passed away this December. Dr. Jones constantly reminded me that we as African Americans, can be our own worst enemy. You can achieve all your goals, if you work hard for it. You must love yourself enough to go out and get it. You owe it yourself, your family, and your ancestors. So, go and be great. Remember you are here for a purpose and it is up to you to identify what that purpose is.  Everyone’s purpose is not the same. Find your craft and perfect it. You are destined for greatness.  

What CW students might not know about me is?

I love to travel and create crazy crafts and events for family and friends.

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester