The College of Westchester (CW), an Associate degree- and Baccalaureate degree-granting college, is seeking a full-time Department Chairperson, School of Business. The Department Chairperson is a member of the CW faculty with responsibility for oversight of the teaching and course offerings provided through the School of Business and which includes programs in Accounting, Business, and Digital Media. In addition, this person will assist the Dean with oversight of departmental faculty, including interviewing, hiring and training of faculty members in the department. Will also work closely with the Dean of Online Education. In addition, will support the Admissions Department and the Office of Career Services by assisting with recruitment, retention, and placement of students, as well as to educate personnel about program requirements, offerings, job possibilities, etc.
- Master’s degree in a business discipline required, Doctorate preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in higher education with full-time teaching experience, preferably in a career-focused institution.
- Substantial, real world experience in business a plus.
- A minimum of two years of supervisory/administrative experience in higher education.
- Experience in faculty and professional development.
- Experience and knowledge of curriculum development.
- Understanding of advisement, student services processes, and academic standards
- A student-centered perspective
- Knowledge of and experience with non-traditional adult programs and adult learning theory is desired.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and leadership skills
- Administer and supervise the work assignments of three Associate Chairpersons, one each designated to the programs in Accounting, Business, and Interactive Digital Media & Marketing.
- Serve as master teacher, role model, and mentor for department faculty, while meeting all the responsibilities of a full-time faculty member as outlined in the Faculty Guidebook.
- Oversee and encourage the ongoing professional development of faculty members in the department.
- Teach the equivalent of 9 courses per year.
- Ensure and develop academic quality through oversight of course materials, textbook review, textbook approval and ordering, updating computer and software applications, providing input to budget development, update/modify course syllabi, proposing and executing program revisions as needed, faculty compliance with policies and procedures, and by distributing and reviewing student evaluations with each department faculty member.
- Conduct classroom observations and/or assign classroom observation responsibilities to Associate Chairpersons, instructor reviews and provide individual assistance to faculty, minimally 3 times per year or as required.
- Work collaboratively with Chairpersons and other academic departments, and participate on various college-wide committees, such as the Curriculum Committee, the Chairpersons Committee and the College Advisory Council, through which recommendations for curricula and/or program changes can be monitored.
- Promote a culture of assessment though ongoing outcomes assessment collection and analysis. Complete and submit Outcomes Assessment Reports following each semester to the Director of Learning Outcomes Assessment which reflect a review and consolidation of those submitted by each department instructor. Conduct program reviews as scheduled. Provide updates between reviews as required.
- Assist in hiring of new faculty by reviewing resumes, interviewing and submitting recommendations.
- Assist in the scheduling process with the Registrar, Dean, and other Chairpersons
- Conduct departmental meetings twice per semester and distribute minutes.
- Review and approve/disapprove course substitutions and/or exceptions for Day and Adult/Online students.
- Contribute articles to the In Case You Missed It (ICYMI) college wide email
- Develop and utilize professional contacts with associations and people to externally promote CW’s brand and to develop relationships that will assist with recruiting guest speakers and with expanding internship and career placement sites, as well as prospective adult continuing student opportunities
- Identify and/or mediate student learning or disciplinary issues with faculty and Academic Center personnel for prompt resolution.
- Participate in each of the stages of reviewing, updating and approving the course catalog.
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.