Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

Black History Month - Caude Laviscount

Wed, 02/24/2021
Black History Month - Claude Laviscount

Since day one, Claude Laviscount knew that the road to success was not going to be easy. Starting college as an adult, being a single mother, and having statistics against her for minority women succeeding in higher education, everything seemed to be against her. However, her determination, resilience, and commitment to excellence have helped her to stay in school and complete her bachelor’s degree. 

If you are looking for an inspirational story, continue reading Claude’s story via this quick Q&A.

What does Black History Month mean for you?
Black History Month is a time for all to discover, highlight, and celebrate the achievements and accomplishments of black people. I think that annual celebration is needed to document the omitted “truths”.

How important do you think it is for a minority student to obtain a college degree?
Most minority students do not have a historical path to tertiary education as most are first generation college students. It is important for minorities to work towards bridging that gap caused by lack of opportunities. I know that it is an uphill task but we are strong, determined, and resilient people and must use and make our own opportunities to obtain at least a college degree.

What changes are you hoping to bring to our society by obtaining your college degree?
I hope to inspire other single mothers young and old to empower themselves through education. I started on my college journey at forty-seven, demonstrating that it is never too late to learn.

A really inspirational book to celebrate BHM and that every CW student should read is? Why?
I recommend Rufus Jimerson’s “The Black Rulers, Military Leaders, Clergy, and Moors who saved Medieval Europe. This book shows the important roles that black people played in the world before they were enslaved.

What are your top 3 favorite singers/bands to celebrate BHM?
I think Aretha Franklin’s soulful voice represents struggle, strength, and success. So, I think we should all enjoy a little Aretha for BHM. My other two top artists to celebrate are Little Richard as a pioneer in the music industry and Michael Jackson for his tremendous success.

The best advice I received regarding my college education was?
I was advised to simply start classes and I will see how quickly the time passes. I am so glad that I did not procrastinate any longer. Now I am a few months away from attaining my bachelor’s degree.

What the CW family might not know about me is?
I am a crier, I break down easily and cry for everything, joy or sadness.

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester