Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

Black History Month - Daishia Howard

Tue, 02/16/2021
Daishia Howard

We continue to celebrate #BlackHistoryMonth. Our guest today is Dr. Daishia Howard, Assistant Professor & Practicum Coordinator, School of Health Professions at The College of Westchester. Every day, but especially during Black History Month, she remembers some powerful words she received when she was a college student, “run your own race, everyone's journey is different, stay true to your journey because you can do whatever you set your mind to, YOU are ENOUGH.”

If you want more inspiration you should continue reading…

What does Black History Month mean for you?

BHM is a very important month to me and it has always been a well celebrated month in my home growing up. I usually spend the month educating myself with black history by diving into the stories, movies and autobiographies of great black leaders, physicians and inventors that have come before me, along with supporting organizations and projects that promote progression and empowerment.

How important is it for a minority student to obtain a college degree?

Education is the key to success, growth and development, for minority students, especially black minorities’ a college education was a privilege that a lot of our ancestors were not afforded. I believe as a minority student it is very important to obtain a college degree, not only for your own personal financial growth or status but for the growth of your community, for all the students to come after you and to pay homage to all the ancestors who have fought to provide us with the opportunity to earn a college degree.

What changes are you hoping to bring to our society by being in the higher education industry?

I believe our society would benefit from seeing an influx of students engaging in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. The word doctor comes from a latin word “docere” which means to teach, with all of my interactions whether physician-patient or instructor-student, I am hoping to act a vessel passing along my knowledge and experiences to inspire, educate, encourage, equip and support future healthcare professionals ultimately to build a stronger community and society.

A really inspirational book to celebrate BHM and that every CW student should read is? Why?

During the pandemic I was allotted a lot of time to catch up on books, movies and music. One book that stuck with me and that I would recommend to students would be the memoir “Becoming” by former first lady Michelle Obama. Reading Michelle Obama’s memoir was a real inspiration to me, without giving away too much of the book, Michelle spoke about adversities that she faced, her experiences coming from a working class family, her finding her own voice and staying true to her dreams, which is encouraging for students.

What are your top 3 favorite singers/bands to celebrate BHM?

Beyonce- Black Parade/Brown Skin Girl, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes- Wake up Everybody, Kendrick Lamar- Alright.

The best advice I received when I was in college was?

The best advice I received was from my mentor who is now my colleague when I was 19 years old during my sophomore year of college and it has stuck with me to this day, I consistently refer back to her words, “Run your own race. Everyone's journey is different. Stay true to your journey because you can do whatever you set your mind to. YOU are ENOUGH.”

What CW students might not know about me is?

I love music, especially percussion. I enjoy watching Battle of the Bands videos and my favorite marching band is FAMU’s Marching 100’s.

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester