Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

First Generation College Student Week at CW - Priscilla Flores

Tue, 11/10/2020

Priscilla Flores, College of Westchester Information Technology Grad; Class of 2019.

Always involved in many activities on campus, Priscilla Flores has lived the college experience to her fullest potential at The College of Westchester (CW). From a variety of clubs, student ambassadors programs, community events, Priscilla is always willing to help. It seems that we all know her really well. However, what not too many people know is that she is a first-generation college student. Since the sky is the limit, a bachelor’s degree is not enough. Take a look at this quick Q&A with her.

Who or what inspires you to earn your degree? Why?

My family has been a huge inspiration for me. They always push me to take a leap of faith and just push through any obstacle life throws at me; and if I can tell you how many obstacles there have been, I could write a book. You would then be surprised and ask me how I manage to keep a huge smile on my face all the time.

How will earning your college degree change your life and the lives of your family members?

It has already changed my life. I have had many doors open for me, and I am honestly so grateful for that. My family has been living their educational lives through me, since neither of them advanced through the 10th grade. They both decided to come to the United States for a better life leaving everything behind. As I have gotten this far, they can see each day that their decision was worth it.

One day, you will be a first-generation college graduate. Who do you hope your story will inspire?

I am a current first generation college graduate and will be the first in my family to receive a Master’s Degree. I have been through so much in my life so far that I am happy to be where I am. I would hope to one day inspire my sister, my younger cousins, and anyone who is struggling in school or thinking that school just is not for them. It does get hard sometimes but don't ever let a bump on the road stop you!

What do you wish the College knew about you?

Honestly, the college pretty much knows everything about me. From the moment, I first stepped through the main doors to apply for the college all the way up to my very last day as an official CW Graduate. However, the one thing I would like for everyone at the college to know is that I am very grateful for everyone there. The professors, the staff and faculty, thank you all so much for everything!

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester