Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

First Generation College Student Week at CW - Monica Alexandra Alvarracin Valladolid

Tue, 11/10/2020
Monica Alvarracin

Monica Alexandra Alvarracin Valladolid, College of Westchester Health Information Management major

Monica Alvarracin, a Health Information Management major knows really well that in order to get a better job she needs a college degree. She is the first one in her family to follow this road of Higher Education, and she hopes to set a reference to the rest of her family.     

Who or what inspires you to earn your degree? Why?
What inspired me to earn a degree was when I was not able to get a better job because I did not have a degree.

How will earning your college degree change your life and the lives of your family members?
After getting my associates degree, I will pursue a better job; this will make a big difference for me and my family.

One day, you will be a first-generation college graduate. Who do you hope your story will inspire?
I hope to inspire all the young people who have immigrated here to work to support their families and leave aside their education. I hope that they can see me as an example and decide to continue their education. It is never too late to start changing the future of ourselves.

What do you wish the College knew about you?
I wish the college knew how grateful I am to be part of it; it has been a big change to my life, which I love.

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester