Faculty Spotlight: Noel D'Allacco

Tue, 06/16/2020
Noel D'Allacco

Noel D'Allacco

CW Faculty share their insights on teaching remotely even adding a little humor. Hear from Noel D’Allacco, Chairperson and Professor of The School of Business.

Q. How has your teaching style changed during the quarantine?

a. As someone who loves being in front of students, this has been a challenge for me. However, I am still trying to be as enthusiastic on Zoom as I would be in the classroom.

Q. Do you find this time to be easier or harder than your usual work schedule?

a. Being home is much harder because of the distractions. I love being at CW and teaching my students in the classroom, face to face.

Q. What recommendations do you have for your colleagues or the college in general?

a. None, but do they have some for me? LOL!

Q. Have you found any useful humor techniques to keep your day light?

a. With my 2 kids (2 & 4) every day is crazy and something funny always happens, like when my little one jumps into the Zoom sessions to say hello. I think the students seeing your "real life" is helpful for them to know they are not alone in this.

Noel D'Allacco

Q. What are some tips for students while we are in this remote teaching environment?

a. It was really hard for me to complete my graduate degree on campus, while working full time. So, back in 2009 I finished my MS online. It was challenging then, so to compare that to now, I would say the tools and software we have make it much easier. However, we are in a pandemic, so being home and every day stressors do not make it easy. Students just need to try to get on a schedule, have a routine to make this seem "normal" for them. I think it’s also important that when they do have free time, after class, after work, they take some time to do something for themselves. Read, watch a movie, listen to music, cook, garden, or take a nap! Doing something for yourself is really important for your mental well-being.

Posted by: 
The College of Westchester