Have you been thinking about reducing the sodium in your diet for yourself and your family. Here's a quick quiz to see how much you know about Sodium.
1. There is a direct relationship between sodium intake and blood pressure. True or False.
2. How much sodium does the body need daily?
d. None of the above
3. Most of the salt people consume is added at the table. True or False.
4. Healthy American adults should eat less than 1,500 mg of sodium per day. Do you know the average amount of sodium consumed by most Americans over age two?
a. About 1,500 mg
b. About 2,300 mg
c. Over 3,000 mg
d. Over 5,000 mg
5. When reading food labels to count sodium content, baking soda should be counted towards the total. True or False.
6. Kosher salt and sea salt are low-sodium alternatives to table salt. True or False
7. Which contains more sodium: 1 cup of canned tomato juice or 1 ounce of potato chips?
8. Some over-the-counter and prescription medicines contain lots of sodium. True or False.
Click here to view the answers
So how well did you do? Don't feel bad, I didn't do so great myself. 5/8 to be exact. Aren't you amazed at what you didn't know in regards to sodium intake.
Attached to this blog post, you will find 2 important documents. Trust me, you will find these documents very helpful. No, it's not a lot of reading. Just take a peek. Click the links below!
Written by Dr. Shamva Wright-Shingler, Assistant Professor, Allied Health Department at The College of Westchester.