Take the College and Career Readiness Quiz

52 Classes in 52 Weeks Update

Tue, 01/17/2017

I truly enjoyed meeting with Professor Terence Keyes and his Oral Communication class in our Adult Division. 

Professor Keyes invited me to talk with the class about my experiences in public speaking.  I relayed the story of my first speech in Oral Communications.  I was a senior in college (it was not CW, but a local college in Connecticut).  That very morning, as a part of my job, I had visited a local high school, Lincoln High School in Yonkers, with a colleague from CW (then The Westchester Business Institute).  My colleague stood in front of a class of students and talked about WBI, as well as various business careers.  When the bell rang and the class filed out, he looked at me and he said, okay - your turn.  I was flabbergasted but stood up in front of the next group and gave the same talk.  I had never addressed a group before.  My knees knocked and my palms were sweaty.  That afternoon, my assignment in Oral Communications was to give an extemporaneous speech.  My topic?....giving my first speech.  I made it through both speeches that day without fainting!

A couple of things that stuck with me from among the many nuggets of wisdom that Prof Keyes shared was this one; "Be willing to surrender what you are to what you could become."  Students shared their experiences based on their first speeches, which they had given the week before.  They all felt that they had gained confidence and realized that they could get through it!  We all realized that we had that experience in common, and it all starts with that first speech.  They were an inspirational group and I truly enjoyed the time I spent with them.

Posted by: 
Mary Beth Del Balzo, CW President